28/02/2017 0 Comments
Top 9 Things To Do in Phenix City, Alabama
Since accepting the role as Tourism Director of Phenix City-Russell County, AL, our office has been working to show you all the incredible things to do here, so let's start with a "Top 9 To Do":
1. Museum of Wonder: The first "Drive-Thru Museum" in the world was founded off Highway 431, and nearby land is the home, that started in the 1970’s as Butch Anthony’s taxidermy shop and artifact room, of the Museum of Wonder. NPR, Roadside America, New York Times, Garden and Gun, American Pickers, and more, have all payed a visit, and featured it! Visitors from around the world come to experience the unique art, artifacts, antiques, and some very strange, authentic items mostly from Alabama. Butch Anthony is a prolific, international, folk artist, and you may get a personal tour from "the man in overalls".
2. East Alabama Speedway: One of the south's most famous and longest running motor attractions, with a NASCAR sanction! Founded in 1973 by Jimmy Thomas, a Georgia Motorsports Hall of Fame winner and NASCAR cup team National 500 winner. After his NASCAR exploits, Jimmy Thomas scouted land and analyzed all the best speedways in the country for a year, then incorporated it all in one to build one of the best race facilities in the country. Every Saturday night April - September experience the roar of the cars and crowds! Special events, lasting for several days, like National 100 and AL State Championships, happen in February, March, and November. Enjoy your quintessential beer and top quality food pairings at the track, or bring your cooler. You can have the VIP treatment and be in "the pit" area for $30, or $20 for adults and $15 for children in the grand stands. This speedway has it all, with stock car racing, monster truck events, firework shows, and events where you can pay to ride in a race car. To get all the dirt, go to www.eamsdirt.com.
3. Whitewater rafting/ropes course/zip-line/disc golf: If you are looking for adventure, you can do all these activities and don't have to leave our gorgeous river and riverfront. You can raft or kayak the longest, urban white water rafting course in the world! Voted one of the top 12 man made adventures in the world by USA Today. You can take a zipline from one state (Georgia) to another (Alabama), then enjoy a laid back, or rigorous ropes course (we have two). If you are feeling more competitive, you can play 18 holes of disc golf right on our Riverwalk, or "beach front" property. White Water Express Phenix City, off the new Whitewater Avenue, can help you book all of these adventures.
4. Fort Mitchell: This area is for all of you history buffs! It has an outstanding, historic site featuring a reconstruction of the 1813 fort, historic burial grounds, a museum housing a fascinating collection of historic carriages, a restored 19th century log home and visitor center that offers exhibits, a film and a walk through the history of the site. Plus, an impressive, national cemetery. The original 1813 fort was replaced by a second, smaller stockade during the 1820s, sadly that fort became the starting point of the infamous, Creek Trail of Tears.
5. Phenix City Amphitheater: A gorgeous gem in the region! Take advantage of the breathtaking view of the Chattahoochee River, Columbus, GA, whitewater rafters, and kayakers, while you enjoy one of our fun, inexpensive concerts or events. This amphitheater is located in the heart of downtown, by the historic Dillingham Bridge, where one of the last battles of The Civil War happened. There is not a bad seat in the house, which keeps artist like Travis Tritt, Corey Smith, and more, coming back for more!
6. Phenix City Motocross: Enjoy riding, racing, camping, swimming, and fishing at one of the Southeast's newest and finest Motocross, UTV, SXS, Side by Sides and Wheelers destinations. Once you arrive you'll love the flat, grassy, shaded area able to view the entire track from one spot. Boasting a lap of over 1-1/4 mile and significant elevation change to soil mixtures from clay, loamy top soil and sand accommodates and challenges for every level of rider. They also have an entry level ArenaCross track and a Free Kids track for bikes up to 65cc. They host AMA Sanctioned Motocross race track holding over 6 dirt bike and quad series races each year with over 38 classes with ages beginning at 4 years old up to 55+, bike sizes starting at 50cc to 900cc, and beginners to Pro. Phenix City Motocross will be hosting its first ever SXS, UTV race in conjunction with SE Quads in 2017. Saturday afternoon racing at its finest. This innovative group also opened an idea of their own, "Iron Man Race" for UTV, SXS, Side by Sides and Wheelers, that runs through the woods, hills and creeks, consisting of 60 minutes each.
7. Archery Connection: Experience one of the largest indoor shooting facilities in the United States that houses 35 lane 20 yard range, a sight in range that goes out to 45 yards, and a video archery simulator! Managed by Steve and Janice Smith, and their son Mason, Archery Connection opened in April of 2011 bringing over 40 years experience in the archery industry through shooting, retail, and product design. They are making a big foot print in the archery world as a leading retailer and dealer, they even host events and birthday parties, too! "Where hunters and archers connect!"
8. Martin-Idle Hour Park: Idle Hour Park is an outstanding, recreational anchor and community gathering spot for Phenix City residents and visitors. With amenities like Moon Lake, the brand new playground, fishing, tennis courts, picnic areas with grills, splash pad, ball fields, walking trails, and more. At one time, the park had a zoo, skating rink, bowling alley, and a swimming pool. The park has many assets and there are a myriad of fun and exciting upgrades happenings for Idle Hour Park everyday. Bring your little ones to the upgraded playground and splash pad! Christmas at Moon Lake is a special tradition for many area families, as well. Kicking off the holiday with live music, puppet shows, pony rides, hay rides and much more. The lake is decorated with beautiful lighted displays that transform Moon Lake into a magical Christmas Wonderland through out the holidays.
9. Phenix Drag Strip: When was the last time (if ever) you saw a good ole fashion drag race? This local track is home to the original "Grudgefest", and is a fun event for your lazy Sunday afternoon. They host drivers from all over the country on its famed, "fastest 1/8 mile in the world" drag racing facility. Join the excitement and get up close and personal, like you are on a scene from Grease and cheering on the winner!
We have a lot of new development, and are in the midst of a revitalization in our downtown area. The vibe is contagious! Come hang with us, drink a craft brewed beer at Chattahoochee Brewing, while overlooking the wonderful Chattahoochee River.